Gallery Opening + Reception: Origins, Destinations, and Points in Between
February 2, 2024
- Time: 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm
- Location: 520 W. Waugh Street
The Creative Arts Guild is pleased to host a guest curated exhibit in honor and celebration of Black History Month. Guest curated by Robert T. Webb, the February 2024 exhibit titled Origins, Destinations and Points in Between, is a showcase of work by leading Black artists from the Harlem Renaissance to today. The exhibit will open with a reception on February 2 from 5:30-7pm and will remain on view in the Guild’s Gallery FIVE20 and Gallery ONE11 until Friday, February 23.
The exhibition of works will include almost four dozen works from the collection of Robert Webb, such as
- Ten pieces by Sam Middleton created from 1961 to 1999, tracing his evolution as an artist in mixed media and various printing techniques
- A suite of four large format Polaroid portraits by MacArthur “genius” grant recipient Dawoud Bey not exhibited publicly since their debut in New York more than 25 years ago
- An Artis Lane pastel portrait of Academy Award-winning actor Charlton Heston from his estate (Lane’s sculpture of Rosa Parks is displayed in the White House oval office, and her sculpture of Sojourner Truth resides in the U.S. Capitol Building.)
- Three early watercolors by Dean Mitchell, hailed by Forbes magazine in 2021 as “America's Most Under-appreciated Painter”
- Two late 1960s paintings by Bernie Casey, who achieved fame on the football field and in cinema in addition to his work as an artist
- A rare still life painting by Laura Wheeler Waring, who was one of the leading artists of the Harlem Renaissance and whose work hangs in the Smithsonian, the National Portrait Gallery and major museums across the country
...along with many more surprises in an engaging exhibit that provides representational and abstract work from across the decades. This is an excellent opportunity to view works of this caliber, some of which have been exhibited in major galleries as well as in museum shows.
We hope you will join us for the reception and throughout the month of February at the Guild.
Gallery Openings + Receptions are always open to all with free admission. Refreshments and a cash bar will be available. We will also have a designated 'kids area' that will have a craft or activity that has to do with the current exhibit!